Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Media Peasant sets up shop.

The D.C. mindset falls somewhere between “work” and “work work work.” I consider myself laid back, but I do triathlons and read 50 books a year for fun.

I’ve worked in media technically since I was 11, when I was made copy editor of the middle school paper. There has to be a special place in heaven for a pre-pubescent girl who knows what Stet means. Just sayin.’

Because I’m supposedly oh-so-laid back, I have zero career trajectory but greatly enjoy (or maybe I just enjoy the stories) tasks such as assigning a freelancer to write a review of Flipper’s grave, ghost-writing the blog of a famous teen pop star (I don’t think I’m allowed to say who) and editing college application essays for a company whose tagline says something about all their editors having gone to Harvard.

I did not go to Harvard.

Well, technically, I visited once.




So who am I to be writing this blog? I’ve managed a Webby-nominated online show ... and I’ve also interviewed celebrities so minor and faded that I’m embarrassed to even say who they are. I was on my feet for 20 hours covering W’s second inauguration ... and I also provided coverage on quilt shows. In July. In Tampa. From Washington.

The funny thing about it is that I’ve always worked for huge media companies. It’s just that in huge media companies, there are television anchors and featured columnists, and there are also people doing the inane things that you’d never even imagine someone doing.

That someone is me, and just because I read 50 blogs a day, and download hacks for The Sims 2 in my spare time, and make tomatoes in photographs look their reddest ... Um. Well, it means something. Maybe I should ask a featured columnist.

0 comments: